Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Shallots, thinly sliced
2 tsp Thyme leaves
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
1.5 cups Vegetable Stock
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove outer layer from leeks, remove top dark green part of the leeks, remove root end of leeks, and half lengthwise.
- Rinse leeks of any grit, place cut side down on a towel to drain.
- Heat half the oil in a saute pan over med-high heat until it begins to shimmer.
- Add the leeks cut side down, don’t over crowd them, and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Turn, season cut side with salt and pepper, and cook 1 more minute on the back side.
- Transfer to a baking dish, cut side up.
- Add the other half of oil to saute pan and add shallots, thyme, and salt, cooking until shallots begin to soften.
- Add white wine to deglaze pan, scraping up the browned bits, and reduce by half.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Pour this liquid over the leeks, stopping when liquid comes halfway up the sides of the leeks.
- Place in the oven uncovered and cook until leeks are very tender, about 30 minutes.