DUNGENESS CRAB SALAD, BEETS, AVOCADO, CITRUS
6-8 small Beets
2 TBSP Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup Shallots, finely diced
1 tsp Salt
Juice of 1 Grapefruit
Juice of 2 Meyer Lemons + zest of 1 Meyer Lemon
Juice of 1 Lime + zest
Juice of 1 Blood Orange + zest
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup Olive Oil
2 Fuerte Avocados
I large bunch Mache or Watercress
3/4 lb Dungeness Crab meat
2 TBSP Cilantro, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup Creme Fraiche
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Clean the beets, toss with 2 TBSP olive oil and heavy pinch salt
- Place beets in a baking dish with 1/8 inch of water in the bottom, cover tightly with foil and roast for 45 min to 1 hour until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove the foil, let the beets cool sufficiently, then peel the skins.
- Cut beets into 1/2 inch wedges, toss with 1 TBSP olive oil, the juice of 1/2 a lemon, salt, and pepper.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the shallots, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 a cup of the combined citrus juices, citrus zest, and 1 tsp mustard. Let marinate for a few minutes, then whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Peel, de-seed, then cut the avocado into slices. Fan them out on one side of a platter, season with salt.
- Place the beets on the other side of the platter, and place the mache in the middle.
- Gently toss the crab with 2/3 of the vinaigrette and the cilantro, taste for salt, then place it on top of the mache.
- Top the crab with a dollop of creme fraiche and some cracked pepper, and pour the rest of the vinaigrette over the avocado. Serve with extra creme fraiche on the side.