ROASTED SUNCHOKE SOUP
Adapted from a Park Kitchen recipe
4 pounds sunchokes, scrubbed clean
2-3 TBSP olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 head garlic, cloves peeled and sliced
1 cup dry white wine
2 quarts vegetable stock
1 lemon, zest and juice
2/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cut the cleaned sunchokes in half lengthwise. Toss with salt, pepper and a 2TBSP of olive oil.
- Place sunchokes cut side down on a baking sheet and roast at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes. The sunchokes should be tender and the bottoms should be caramelized. Reserve for later.
- Put the sliced onion and garlic into a non-reactive stockpot with the wine, and a heavy pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Add the vegetable stock, roasted sunchokes, and bring to a simmer again for 20 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the soup in small batches, adding a bit of the olive oil and the lemon juice/zest to each batch, adjusting the seasoning as you go. Pass the soup through a strainer to remove the fibrous sunchoke skin.
- Garnish with crème fraiche and fresh chives/scallions.